Last night we began the transition from nursing Evelyn to sleep to simply comforting her back to sleep. As you might guess with our spirited, strong willed child, that it didn't go very well. Lately, I have been getting up about every two hours to comfort Evelyn back to sleep. When she wakes up at all she needs help falling back to sleep...and that is not an easy task.
I have resorted in the past to nursing her to sleep since she does not take a pacifier and does not go down without a fight. This must end because I am tired of getting up so much of the night. So, last night began the conscious effort to change Evelyn's habits.
Around 3 am she woke and was restless. I went to her room and offered her comfort. She didn't like the idea of me not nursing her so she stepped it up a notch as if I wasn't getting it. I quickly grew frustrated and needed a switch with Dad. He experienced the same opposition and so we switched again. We layed in bed an hour and forty-three minutes after the struggle began shaking our heads and asking, "Is this kid for real?"
I once put her on my hip and said, "Forget it. You are not going to be nursed. Get over it." She didn't take my advice and so we left her to herself to cry herself to sleep. Finally about two hours into it I picked her up and nursed her (because it was time if you know what I mean...well, I wasn't going to let myself explode!). After which she promplty nustled into her pillow and fell asleep.
Little did we know Grandma was in the basement listening to the whole things saying to herself, "Don't give in. Don't give in!" Well, we pretty much lost that fight. Don't ever try to battle it out with a seven month old...they are tough! We had better odds, but she came out the belt winner. Figure that one out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Sounds like you're going to have to try again....Keep it up. Be persistent...Now is the time when you're not both having to get up for work. You can do it!!! Don't give in to that little stinker... =) Good Luck!!
Post a Comment