Last night after a volleyball game I went out with a few ladies. We began talking and laughing about the comedian that entertained the bank employees at the holiday party. The comedian joked that "how do we know who is correct in regards to religion?" He went on to joke that for all he knows one might get to heaven and find out that in fact a different religion than their own is actually the real one.
A friend I was with laughed and stated, "It is so true. How do we know. I mean, how do we really know?" A million statements were circling in my head and I managed to not say anything in response. Instead, another lady at the table stated, "Yeah, I guess the point is having a relgion and being the best person you can be." My heart broke and I could not speak.
For the longest time I could not figure out what was the appropriate response. I didn't want to say too much because it was not the time nore the place to open such a big can of worms. Finally, as I was laying in bed, I realized that one sentance sums it all up for me. My response to those women and others who are religious but have no assurance in their eternal life is this...Wasn't that the point of Christ? Isn't his message that you can have assurance and know with out a doubt that if you believe in him you will have eternal life?
It is written, "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." "For it is by grace you have been saved by faith...not by works, so that no one can boast." Acts 4:12 states regarding Jesus, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
"If you confess with your mouth that 'Jesus is Lord' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved...[the Lord] richly blesses all who call upon him for 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved'". Romans 10:9, 13
I wish that peace for everyone; the peace in knowing with assurance that you are saved and that what you believe in is real. I have asked myself, "Was Jesus really God?" and come to know with the same assurance as knowing the sky is blue that He was and is who he claimed to be. What is your conclusion?
1.25.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment