
Today while out shopping at local stores on main street, Evelyn decided to be independently social. We were browsing through a store when I suddenly realized Evelyn was heading off in a different direction. I observed her heading over to the clerk at the counter. Before I could even ask her to come back over to me she demandingly stated to the clerk (who was a sweet little old lady), "I want a sticker." The lady needed clarification and so I heard that horrible, impolite sentence again coming from Evelyn without even so much as a smile or a "please" or "thank you" that I am desperately working with her on. Evelyn was given fudge instead of a sticker from the sweet little old lady at the counter. With a mouth full of fudge she managed to say, "Nate you", which in toddler talk means, "Thank you."
I was impressed she talked to someone totally unfamiliar without prompting, but I would never have imagined the motivation would be so selfish and completely embarrassing to me. She could have at least asked sweetly or given a nice smile, but instead she asked in a very unfriendly way, curt and blunt.
Meanwhile, yesterday while we were swinging together in our hammock, Evelyn asked me where the squirrel's penis was. Yes, penis. I hate to write the word, but Evelyn is learning that there is a difference between a girl and a boy. She doesn't realize the social meaning of the word and has said it freely twice this week. I am trying to figure out how to teach her the appropriate time to talk about such areas on the body all the while not making her feel bad or learn that it is bad to talk about. Ah, the life of a two year old!






1 comment:
Don't be embarrassed --- she is TWO! At least she didn't demand the old lady behind the counter give her a PENIS!! ;)
Post a Comment