It's okay to love and to be loved.

7.13.2009

Nothing New For Ninety Days Challenge

Steve and I are fascinated with how difficult, at times, it is for a family to live on one income. We have plenty of friends who do it...some probably make six figures...some have to have a supplemental income from the mom working off hours from dad...and some chose to have children later in life when school bills, etc. had already been paid off. Unless one of you makes six figures and/or age 35+ it takes a lot of scrimping to make ends meet.



It seems like "gone are the days" when people had extra to save each month. If we stay within our budget, which does not currently allot for savings other than 401(k), we are doing well. We attempt to manage our miscellaneous spending (oil changes, diapers, clothing, hair cuts, dining out...) to $600 amonth. I find that difficult to do each month...no duh, right!



I want to be able to save. The "Misc." section of our budget is pretty much the only variable we can control. We have fixed utilities, mortgage, phone bills, internet, health insurance, etc. We did splurge for basic cable, which could be eliminated and would save us $11 a month, but we haven't gotten to that point yet. Other than cable and internet we don't pay for anything "extra"...not even a cell phone bill. Pretty basic for a middle class family.



One problem...our culture spends money and even if you don't think you are trying to "keep up with the Jones'" you probably are, even if in a subtle way. You see, I would like to tell you a little about my Grandma. She is 91 and some things about her life amaze me when I compare it to the norms of today.



She has never had a pedicure. She cut her own hair until she was sixty plus years old and could not see well enough to do it herself anymore. She has had the same beautiful, quality furniture for most of her adult life. She has driven modest vehicles when she could have driven a Mercedes or BMW. She did have a cleaning lady, but not until she was over forty years old.



Today's woman "needs" highlights, lowlights, manicures, pedicures, hair cuts, stores like Gordman's that cater to throw away/cheap goods for your house, trendy diaper bags, nursing covers, matching outfits for children (hah!), professional photos at regular intervals and more. How do we not spend on those things like everyone else does?



The modern family needs cable for reception of any kind, a cell phone (usually), a flat screen T.V. if you are really cool or at least multiple T.V.'s, gym membership (no way, not us!), internet fees, computers and the gadgets that come with, two cars usually with payments if you want them to be less than fifteen years old and more. Those things, even trimmed down, make for a tight budget.



We say no to the payment options, the buy on credit everything mentality. We could have many more "nice" items in our house, but they would be the credit card company's if we did. I wonder how many people actually live like that?



We choose to set our sights for the long run...college tuition, retirement, paying for things out of pocket like vacations, furniture, weddings...some day. Our goal is to have two vehicles that work well and don't require a payment. We almost have the van paid off and that will complete our goal. Realize, however, that the van is nine years old! We couldn't buy a reliable mini-van with cash that was less than fifteen years old. I think that is crazy. Steve drives a great Honda Accord, but it is from 1996 and has near 200,000 miles. How do others drive newer vehicles and manage the payments? Don't know.



So, we have decided to publicly challenge ourselves to quit any frivelous spending (I have a thing for buying bags and purses and eating out) for ninety days. We will not allow ourselves to pay for anything we can do ourselves...like washing the car, vaccuming it out, we will eat out sparingly, no Target shopping sprees for a new rug in the kitchen, etc. We will be content with what we have and not view our house, wardrobe or anything else as lacking. Whatever happened to having the same bed sheets for decades like my grandparents? Or keeping the same wall decor for years? Why do bathrooms have to have "themes" that change periodically to stay cool? Why do kitchen gadgets have to color coordinate?



I will end this post, finally, giving tribute to things we have recently saved money on or spent no money on in order to achieve what we needed in our house. Two things...a fridge and a head board for our bed so the girls don't break the windows again. Fridge was half price on craigslist.org (french door bottom freezer...holler..way too nice, but half the price as new). Head board...free and fabulous thanks to Steve's handy work (see below):

How do you save money?

Would you like to join us by saving a little extra in the next few months by saying "no" to materialism and "yes" to financial freedom?

Post a comment with a link to your blog so we can encourage one another!

9 comments:

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

The girls broke the windows? I have more I'd like to say about this post, but that was the first thing I needed to comment on. Love the headboard and agree with you on the challenge. It is oh so difficult. I may take you up on it.

Bethany Stevens said...

I totally agree with you! I have no idea how all of these people afford all this "stuff"? Until I finally realized that most of our friends have the "you only live once, live for the experience and who cares about the debt" mentality. I have friends who have traveled the world, but their cards with $20K limits are being declined. They have the memories and have experienced the world, but they have the debt. I have little to no debt, but have only ever been to Mexico and Toronto for work. =P Is there a way to find a balance??? Good question...

On that note - if you and Steve ever need a cheap baby sitter lemme know!

Julie and Greg said...

Hi Anna,

I've been a lurker on your blog for a long time now. I found your blog through Chloe's (who I found through her friend Sara from college).

I feel exactly the same way that you do - we don't buy it unless we have cash in hand. I often wonder how others our age seem to have it all and the only thing I can come up with is that they are in debt. What a great idea to take on a 90 day challenge. I just may start one of my own.

You can check us out if you are interested at jgvanleeuwen.blogspot.com

Julie

Jweaver said...

Please change your background or text color- I can't read anything! (white on peach) Is it just me??

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Janet,

It takes our new background a bit to establish iteself, but everything is readable from my stand point. If things don't change for you let me know...it would be nice to see things!

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Chloe,

Yes, right after Steve told Evelyn to be careful and stay away from the windows when on our bed we heard glass breaking. It appears her head broke the window on the right, but her hair kept her from getting any cuts. Her hair was cute, however. We are dumb parents, I know. So glad God watches out for His children.

Emily said...

Hey Anna,
budget stuff always brings on a lot of thoughts, strategies, etc...We are buying the mini-van now, and are only doing so in cash. It has been a major struggle for me to be ok with what we can find with the cash we have vs what I really want or think I 'need' in a car. Thankfully, prices on those things are at an all time low, and cash is always king :) As for other expenses, we have gone totally old school and keep envelopes for every category (and we are very specific- our misc only covers shoes, clothes, birthday presents- we have an envelope for gas, car utility, groceries, diapers (!) and entertainment). It has really been an eye-opener to me as to where I would want to splurge, or keep up with the jones', and has really helped us keep a good budget with money to put into savings each month.

But above all, it has been the greatest lesson in trusting God, and turning to Him before spending and learning how to be a faithful steward of all that He blesses us with.

Sorry this was so long....it's a good topic :)

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this post for a few days now. I've been thinking about money quite extensively for several months now too, as our finances have also drastically changed.

While I absolutely see your point and respect it, I do not look down upon those who can afford what I cannot though either. My family's goals will vary from yours and vis versa. What I think needs to occur is balance. Certainly we can buy our family something nice on occasion without being wasteful, correct? It does not have to be one way or the other, does it? Interestingly enough, I've noticed I've cut a lot of excessive spending secondary to other concerns beyond money - environmental concerns, etc. One tool that you may find useful on your quest to better fiscal management is mint.com. It is an interesting instrument.
Happy saving!
SB

Ridenour Ranch said...

Anna, I agree about it being tough to make it on one income. We are just beginning that now with having a baby on top of it (and school loans etc.). I love your idea and I think I'm going to try it. I find myself thinking I need the new shirt at Target just because it is on the clarence rack (I'm a bit of a horder too!). I really think I'd be just fine without it all!