It's okay to love and to be loved.

8.26.2009

6 1/2 hours later...

Today's circumcision didn't go as well as I would have liked. Little Isaiah kept bleeding after the procedure and I forced to decide whether or not to let him get the Vitamin K shot to help with blood clotting. I was very emotional. Besides being able to talk things over with Steve via cell phone I was left to talk things over with a pediatrician that I normally try to avoid.

This pediatrician was called in to assist my family practice doctor with Isaiah once the bleeding became an issue. They attempted many things to help the bleeding stop, but to no avail. Although I was very uncomfortable with the position I was put in, and I told the pediatrician that, Steve and I decided to have Isaiah receive the vitamin K shot. It was hard to do that. It also proved to be pretty pointless since he continues to bleed a little and was labeled a "bleeder". It probably has nothing to do with a deficiency in vitamin K, but according to the pediatrician it was the only thing that would control the bleeding.

After six and a half hours of no food for either of us Isaiah and I were released to go home from the hospital. It was a long day. Isaiah was fantastic. He layed in the restraining straps for most of the day while doctors and nurses assesed the situation down there. I can't wait for this to heal and for us to be back to normal. Oh, did I mention he had to have four stitches put in to help control the bleeding as well. Oh, my poor, poor little boy. I am sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That sounds hard. I am now very thankful we didn't circumcise our little boy.

Alyce Dreewes said...

I'm so sorry! ! !
We had Vit.K drama too.
Our littlest "E" had a subdural hematoma, and the dr. didn't "feel comfortable" doing a circumcision without Vit.K because all his available blood clotting elements were working on that...
All the decisions are so intense in this time of life.
Although I don't always see it. Or act like it! I am thankful that we are in loving hands, and that HE has a purpose and a plan that is miles above mine...

l

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Amen, Alyce. Thanks for the reminder! I