It's okay to love and to be loved.

10.20.2009

So what have we been up to lately? It has been a while since I posted! Steve worked Sat. morning and I worked my 24-hour shift starting that night. Steve's been out late the last two night with work and social obligations so I have been holding Isaiah instead of holding the computer on my lap. Alas, I am free and here to post!

Isaiah had his 2-month "Well-Baby" check-up last week. Can you believe he is already two months old? His stats are: 14 lbs. 2 oz. (93%). 25 inches tall (97%). Evie wasn't fourteen pounds until she was four months old. Because Naomi is the middle child I didn't get the chance to check her stats yet. That's an inside joke for those that watch us parent and often comment that Naomi gets the shaft more often than not. I'm working on that...

While at the doc's office he had to mention the vaccines that Isaiah would have gotten during that visit. The conversation remained friendly because, well, we are friends and because he knows I will not budge on my vaccine stance. He was able, however, in just a short time, prove to me my theory on SIDS must be accurate. He proved to me in one simple sentence that my child in is more danger from one single vaccination than from not receiving a vaccination.

My theory on SIDS is that children suffocate from the disease and the ingredients in vaccines. Not only does formaldehyde cause "bronchial constriction", which is your lung closing up and ceasing to expand to inhale air, but the diseases that we vaccinate for do. The three vaccines recommended out of the six on the CDC schedule would all cause respiratory failure if the disease was contracted and not properly treated. I can't say for sure, but I know in my heart that SIDS and vaccines are connected. I don't want to live in fear of SIDS or the diseases we vaccinate against, but the real threat to me is SIDS and not the disease. I have to follow my gut and do what I feel is best for my children.

On a lighter note Steve is going to make one of these for Naomi:
It is a kitchen! Steve is very excited to get started and I am excited for Naomi to have a kitchen on her birthday. Chloe also told me about felt play food that all sorts of people sell on Etsy. Chloe plans to make some and she will give Naomi some food for her birthday to go with her kitchen! How fun!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I didnt realize the connection between SIDS and vaccines, but that makes perfect sense. Just one more reason to stay vaccine free!
Also...that little kitchen is adorable!

The Baby Makes 4 said...

You'll have to come over and play with it sometime!

Jweaver said...

What exactly did the doctor say to prove the connection? I have read about that also.
Any tips on how to talk to my pediatrician about this issue? I have only been twice and she is of course not supportive of my not wanting to vaccinate right now. I don't think she likes me. She made it sound like if we didn't vaccinate we could no longer come to her office. This issue is so heavy on my heart and I want to do the right thing for my baby.

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

Janet,
Not that you were asking me, but I'll share a few thoughts anyway.
-Find a new doctor. It's near impossible to find someone that will support your choice but at a minimum they should respect you as someone that has done the research and is making an informed decision, even if they do not agree.
-Be educated. Read everything you can on both sides of the issue. I recommend books over web sites because you are hopefully able to get better background information on the author of a book over the author of a web page.
-Trust your instincts. Stand your ground. Know that you are not alone, even though it feels like it.

The Baby Makes 4 said...

My Doc. told me that the three vaccines he recommends out of the six are "killers" stating that the disease causes respiratory failure and, therefore, kills the child. So, we should vaccinate against those three diseases so that if my child contracts the disease they would in theory not be harmed. I feel that the fact that the diseases cause respiratory failure and children who die of SIDS suffocate for no apparent reason, there is a connection. They get the disease from the vaccine and it causes death. The only way to prove it is a case by case study using a complete autopsy report, which often full autopsy's are not done with SIDS cases to determine the actual cause.

In regards to your doc. if you don't feel comfortable that they at least respect you, you might need to go somewhere else or seek a new provider at your clinic. It is important that you know and feel that you are respected even if they don't agree with your decision at this time. They should be able to talk with you calmy and respectfully about your concerns. I have had this and needed to change providers. Some pediatricians cannot even engage in a civil conversation re: vaccines. Do what you feel is best.

Jweaver said...

Thanks Anna and Chloe. You are right, I may need to switch doctors and have already started casually looking. There is a Vaccine Options Support Group this Sunday that we are going to try to attend here in Brooklyn. If anything it will just help me know how to talk with our provider or maybe someone there can recommend a different pediatrician. I like her and felt more intimidated than disrespected but she made it sound like she wouldn't see us if that is what we chose to do. We'll see what happens..