It's okay to love and to be loved.

4.21.2010

I am watching a show on Frontline about boy prostitution in Afghanistan. Boys are sold by their parents for money. One father said, "Times are hard. We need the income." Also, the practice is illegal, but the cops "look the other way" or get bought off by the wealthy owners of these boys. One family stated to the reporter after telling the story of their son's murder by these men, "The men responsible should be punished. But, power is power. They can pay off the police and get away with it."

While watching just a bit of the program I was reminded how thankful I am to live in the United States. I was reminded how important it is to fight for the principles outlined in our Constitution so that our freedoms and protections by our government remain. Our legal system works, for the most part, and our police do the job they are supposed to do. That isn't the case all over the world. It is so sad to hear or watch things like this. I know it happens even in this country because evil is evil and it is everywhere. However, it is not the norm and the resources to fight such practices are in place to actually do something to stop it.

I also can't help but ask myself, "Why does God put up with all of this?" I am amazed our world still exists. Life is hard for a lot of people. The world is so fallen. God loves each person and desires for them to turn from their sin and follow Him. He gives many chances before he lets someone close the door. I guess each day is another chance for someone to turn to God and have their life changed forever.

"For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks shall find; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:8

No comments: