It's okay to love and to be loved.

2.04.2012

Thoughts from a random woman...

Since I don't like life to be too simple, or too orderly, I tend to find something to focus on that gets me excited and motivated to live life to the fullest each day. Lately, this focus is on our goal as a couple to get out of debt. We don't have much anymore...only school loans.

I love that every dollar we earn has a name. Daveramsey.com and Dave's book helped us learn that trick. If the money doesn't have a name (i.e. loan, debt, savings, grocery...) then the amount in our checkbook mills around in my head and when I'm at Target I think I'm a movie star with millions of dollars.

My mom just laughs when she hears I spend money like a crazy woman sometimes. While growing up I kept my money under my mattress and counted it quite often. I even ironed it and attempted to get it as crisp and flat as I could. I liked seeing my money and knowing how much I had, but rarely spending. I never gave myself permission since money didn't grow on trees when I was young.

As an adult, my money moved to the bank where I can't see it or iron it. It holds no significance to me. I can't really see if the total goes up or down so now it sort of grows on trees. Well, not really, but never in my life have I been in want for anything. I've always had a place to live and food and clothing. Money has always been in excess, you see, since I've never been in need in my entire thirty years of life.

It doesn't matter the exact amount because before statements like, "if I had a little bit more I would..." crept it at randoms times causing me to desire earthly treasures. I am eliminating that kind of thinking from my mind. I want to live on a little bit less each month...making the most of our resources for the good of those around us. Steve, and me as a small wage earner, don't earn money for our own pleasure. We already have too much since I mentioned we've never been in need or want. We earn whatever God allows so that we can be good stewards of what we have and use it for the Glory of God.

I'm glad I've been able to see the temptations of this world and to label them as such. We hear of the graffiti artist hired by Facebook that now has stock worth a reported $200 million dollars. I immediately think, "Oh, wow, wouldn't that be nice. I wish I earned $200 million." All the while, what I do earn is more than enough and the goal in life isn't to see how rich we can get and how fast and easy we can accomplish that. The good life is finding the balance and feeling content in all situations knowing and trusting that God is the provider and he will care for us.

On a side note, I wanted to share this parenting link to whomever might need the encouragement. I feel this article helps to reinforce my goal as a mother. I desire to raise children that know God, love Him and do His will. I try not to have a worldly agenda for my kids or ideas of what they might do when older (however, I do think Isaiah will enjoy sports...but what that means I don't know). I just want to look at them during each stage of life and see them growing into the person God has created them to be. I am here to help encourage and steer in the right direction fully knowing that there will be ups and downs during this process of life. I also know I need to do my best to follow God so that my sin doesn't effect them. When it does, that is where God's grace covers over and redeems what Sin has effected. I am so thankful for that.

No comments: