It's okay to love and to be loved.

2.24.2006

Something I have been thinking about

The formation of the United States was completely beyond the individuals that are given the credit. Therefore, it can only be true that it was a God-ordained event.

About a month ago I completed reading the book "1776" by David Mucoulogh. After reading through the 300+ pages there is one common thread that runs throughout. George Washington and the Continental Army were completely incompetent. While Washington certainly looked and acted the part, his military tactics and his fighting force were greatly outmatched by the British. While they did have minor successes, most of those were due to good fortune and surprise attacks, not because we out fought or out strategized the Brits.

These things make it so much more frustrating to me as a Christian. Our country, which is here solely by the grace of God, has turned its back so far away from Him that I fear we will not be able to recover. I pray for a revival to sweep the nation that we could realize the reason we are all here. Christianity is not a self serving religion. It's a relationship with Jesus Christ and only when we put our full dependence on Him can we truly realize the folly of our pride. On a daily basis there are so many tasks that are completely beyond the realm of human possibility. Most recently for Anna and I, it has been parenting. Every time Evelyn cries or seems uncomfortable, you can not help but feel so helpless because you have no idea how to make it better. I could not imagine going through life without knowing Jesus. Whenever I am feeling prideful, He is there to remind me that I am a sinner just like everyone else and the only reason I am able to accomplish anything is because He has willed it. My prayer for myself is that I can give God the credit he is due in all that I do.

No comments: