Forgive me, but I am about to wax a little poetic/nostalgic for everyone.During our visit to the midwest this past Christmas, I came to appreciate a common sight on the prairie landscape. Barns had been something that I had previously not appreciated as I grew up in South Dakota. Partially due to the frequency that a resident would see them as well as being at an age where I really didn't think deeply on any issue. So why is it that I have now come to appreciate these structures? I believe that it is because each time I look at one I can imagine what it formerly was. A cornerstone of the family farm, I can see animal inhabitants and young boys playing in the haymow. I can also see the work that was put in to building it. These structures were handbuilt by the families that would be using them and they have stood the test of time. After all, barns are basically a skeleton with a roof and some siding, but yet they stand up to the elements of harsh midwestern weather year in and year out. Lastly, I value how barns are able to age so gracefully. To me, there are few things that are more beautiful than an aged barn dropped against a prairie landscape.
The barn symbolizes all that I love and long for about the midwest and farm living...hard working people, relationships, and humility. I miss home.






No comments:
Post a Comment