It's okay to love and to be loved.

9.23.2006

An interesting article on Islam

I recently read an article written by Bernard Lewis, a Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton. In the article he educates the reader on the struggle between our Western culture and the Middle-Eastern culture of Islam. He explains the origination of the terrorist-sect of Islam as well as the beliefs of Osama bin Laden in regards to the 9/11 attacks. In the article, Lewis quotes bin Laden saying, "In this final phase of the ongoing struggle [between Christianity and Islam], the world of the infidels was devided between two superpowers-the United States and the Soviet Union. Now we have destroyed the more difficult and the more dangerous of the two [Soviets during the Cold War]. Dealing with the pampered and effeminate Americans will be easy." The author, Lewis, continues to explain how "the general theme [of our previous conflicts (Vietnam, Somalia...)] was: They can't take it. Hit them and they'll run. All you have to do is hit harder."

That is exactly what Al-Qaeda did on 9/11. They began the assault on our country. Lewis makes the case that it is because of our response to the attacks that we have not been hit again. Basically, if we back down we will be hit again until we are defeated. What America is trying to accomplish in the Middle-East takes time and cannot be accomplished over night.

In conclusion, the author writes, "I think that the cause of developing free institutions-along their lines, not ours-is possible. One can see signs of its beginning in some countries. At the same time, the forces working against it are very powerful and well entrenched. And one of the greatest dangers is that on their side, they are firm and convinced and resolute, and in such combat, it is not diffucult to see which side will prevail.
I think that the effort is difficult and the outcome uncertain, but I think the effort must be made. Either we bring them freedom, or they destroy us."

Read the article at: http://www.hillsdale.edu/imprimis/

1 comment:

Devin Parker said...

Very interesting article. It answered a number of questions that I'd had, and clarified a few issues I was a bit vague on. Thanks for the link!