It's okay to love and to be loved.

9.02.2008

Parents

I recently read a book to Evelyn that I purchased at a friend's garage sale. The book talked about teachers. Teachers are great. They help us write our names, they play with us, they take us on trips, they teach us how to sort, count and spell, etc., etc. I couldn't help but think as I read that all the things this book was touting about teachers was really the stuff that parents should be teaching...long before kids go to school.

Then on the radio today in the car I heard some interesting tidbits related to this. The speaker explained that today's definition of a parent is "professional provider" and today's definition of child is "professional consumer." I would agree that those definitions match what I think about the way most parents and families, in general, function. I never had put my thoughts into words, but if I had that would have summed it up.

After those two definitions were given a third was introduced. This definition sums up what I feel my role is as a parent...

"The word 'parent' in Hebrew means, 'teacher, trainer.'"

Interesting. I think I'll go with that one.

No comments: