I'm feeling a little scatter brained today. I am on the leadership team of our local MOPS group and we had our first meeting of the month today. I forgot to do several little, relatively un-importmant things. I realize I am not naturally a "multi-tasker", but this is something I have to practice doing since life with children demands it.
Today was a multi-tasking day and I want to write down all I had to accomplish before 11 am this morning to see if I did in fact do okay or if I should throw in the towel. Maybe I should make this list before the actual day? Hmm...that is a good idea, Anna. WRITE THINGS DOWN!
Wake-up (7 a.m. If it is any earlier Evelyn wakes-up also and it is not good. Trust me.)
Get a call from Coordinator. She is sick. Alter agenda slightly.
Feed Evelyn and self
Shower w/o waking Naomi
Try to dress, do hair, some make-up so I don't scare people...etc.
Let phone ring until I hear on message I need to pick-up
Suddenly I need to stop at Coordinator's house to pick-up some items for meeting
Ask friend who called to pick up some Candy Corn for our game today when she heads into town so that I can make it to the Coordinator's house and to meeting on time
Dress Evelyn (terrible two's are not fun. Simply brushing her hair almost requires a spanking)
Hear Naomi...get her dressed
Make bottle for nursery workers to feed Naomi ASAP upon arrival b/c I don't have time (nice, huh?)
Pack-up girls.
Make one trip to van
Come back in to get supplies for the meeting (pasta salad, papers for others, board games, treat basket w/treats, etc.
8:25 head to meeting via Coordinator's house
Meeting time (9 am) requires me to host game event, share info with the moms, fill in for an absent Table Leader, get Naomi to stop crying in nursery, find the bag of Candy Corn Evelyn left somewhere in the church, help find a worker for the one year old room, get pens for the sign-in sheets, greet new moms and make them feel welcome and hope I didn't forget anything.
All the while I threw away a receipt I needed for reimbursement for another lady. Forgot a sheet for the nursery, forgot Kindermusik coupons for distribution and didn't talk with all the people I should have talked with.
I need to figure out how to have less to do on the day-of. I wish I could make it all happen. I feel frazzeled. I missed a few opportunities to help others today and I don't like it.
I've heard that in every group 10% if the people do 90% of the work. That is the case in our group and I am one of the 10%. Sometimes it takes a lot to cover 90% of the work. I'm not sure what a good solution to "over booking oneself" would be. I want to have the time to talk and develop relationships and I don't often have the chance. There is something wrong with this picture. I'll talk to God about this and he will set it right. I don't like this feeling of "missing the mark" and maybe it is because my priorities aren't right and I need to refocus my efforts and not try to be a "jack of all trades". "Sorry for all the quotations today".
10.08.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
I would say that if anything slipped through the cracks it is hardly because of your inability to multi-task - that is one crazy list of things to accomplish/remember in less than 1.5 hours. I was stressed for you. Way to go super multi-tasker! But now, like you said, how to find a way to not have so many tasks to do at one time. Maybe you could solicit other members of the group as people that could be contacted for short, one time help - like picking up the candy corn or running a game one time? It seems like people are reluctant to volunteer when they feel like there is no end to the commitment but maybe they would say yes to be "on call."
That is a great idea! I should also be trying to encourage others to have a desire to fill my position next year and using them in little ways could give them that taste for serving others. Thanks! I feel good about meetings from here on out w/ my new mission.
Post a Comment