The idea of hiring a babysitter to watch my children while I do something w/o them is a very novel concept for me. I seem to be plagued with the idea that I have to do everything with my children simply because I am their caretaker and have no grandma in town. I get stressed out just thinking about having a babysitter come over. I am mostly stressed because I don't want them to suffer here in my home with my children while I am out doing something I could probably do with them.
My friend encouraged me to call a few numbers and see if I could come join her on this no children allowed outing. I called a few numbers and began sweating as I contemplated the new adjustment to my layed back day of doing nothing but nap with the girls and venture out to Target for some returns. Now I was faced with the possibility of finding food in my cupboards for a babysitter and my children to eat, make a list of things to do with my children and remember to smile and say "hi" to this sweet young girl whom we have never met.
Well, it all worked out and I galloped out of the house swinging my purse and got into my friend's car w/o touching a single car seat strap or hauling a diaper bag. We laughed like Thelma and Louise all the way to Mankato and she showed me her eye make-up that she hasn't touched in months and hasn't had a reason to wear any until today.
During our afternoon out we decided to get our toes painted. Didn't even know you could do that, but she wanted to pay for us both and so I didn't argue. You should have seen us. Two pregnant ladies acting a little strange since we were out w/o our children and didn't know what to do with ourselves sitting in nail salon chairs with a DQ Blizzard resting on my belly and she with a pretzel and a Diet Coke under her arm. We admired our new toes and danced out of there to the next place on our list.
The clock struck 5 pm and we knew our "Fairy Tale" would be over soon so we headed home to relieve our babysitters. I wrote a check for $25 even though I am trying not to spend any extra money for a while and thanked my babysitter for spending the afternoon watching my children. I told her I might have to call her again! Although, I do admit I thought of my children while out and missed their company.






No comments:
Post a Comment