It's okay to love and to be loved.

1.22.2010

Saving money

Steve and I discovered how to stick to a budget. Finally. It is simple, really. We divided our monthly "allowance" for spending by the number of days in the month. Steve gets less per day than me because I am in charge of diapers, oil changes, and fancy new things. We both know how much we are allowed each day and it is easy to stick to it. We are conscious of what we are spending and what we are spending our money on.

We tell ourselves, "Yes, you can spend money, Anna! Just X amount each day!" It works better for us than saying, "Don't spend money."

Our goal is to live debt free. I get as much joy from lowering our debt (school, house, etc.) as I do from buying a new pair of shoes. It is good to have a budget that you can live with. I have a budget that lets me spend...but not too much that we don't save. Cool beans, dude.

No comments: