It's okay to love and to be loved.

6.28.2010

Berrie Jubilee

We went raspberry picking yesterday. A local farm has rows and rows of them and they place a sign by their driveway when they are open to have you come and pick. We picked what we thought was a lot of berries. Turns out we picked $.50 worth. We gave them $5 just for the experience.

I love letting my kids get out in nature and see life from a new point of view. We learned about which berries were the best to pick, which ones were not ready yet, and which ones were too old to pick. The girls learned how to gently pull the berry off the bush w/o squishing it to death. Those that suffered from excessive finger strength were immediately eaten.

Naomi was found crouched down in a row next to us plucking all the "yicky" ones out of the pail...which she deemed most of them to be. Isaiah got licked by a dog in his stroller and smooshed raspberries ALL over himself. It was very fun. I think we will go again this week.

Add raspberries to a dish of Greek honey flavored yogurt. It will blow your socks off!

1 comment:

Ridenour Ranch said...

Our grove is chock full of raspberries. I've never even had them before, but have now picked twice and despite the intense heat from being in jeans and long sleeves and the mosquito bites I got anyway it was a lot of fun! I made some jam but am looking for something else to do with them...the greek yogurt sounds good. What is that stuff?!?!