It's okay to love and to be loved.

1.24.2013

Self-Discipline

Next week my oldest child turns seven years old.  It is difficult for me to write that.  I realize that I only have eleven years with her before she is an adult and living most of the year somewhere other than my home.  If seven years has flown by, how will eleven not do the same?

I adore this time when my children are small.  I love taking care of their every need...however, I don't always love it :) This time of life with my children young is very precious and will not last forever.  This time in life will not come again.  For that I am sad.  This is a huge phase (becoming a mother) and I don't want to let it go.  I'm excited to watch my children grow, but I also know that having them close will someday change and come to an end as I know it now.

Since I began to realize how fast time flies and how fast my children grow up I simultaneously panicked.  I looked into Evelyn's room recently and noticed that she had no problem sleeping on a quarter of her bed because the other part had clean sheets and a comforter piled on top.  A short year or two ago she was my neat and tidy first born.  Now she was completely content to walk around clothes on her floor or leave her bed a mess.  Her behavior had changed...and it had changed because of my habits.

Last year Steve and I talked extensively about my inability to regulate myself.  My home and children are not completely at the top of my list.  I get pulled into helping others, volunteering, working, playing volleyball, etc., etc.  Those activities take a lot of my focus at different times throughout the year.  Last year in particular I over did things with selling our house and homeschooling already on the docket.

I became aware that I needed to put my house, home and children and husband on my radar or it falls to the bottom of the "to-do" list.  Everything that isn't essential for them, that is.  As this year began two of the three children got the flu, which put us out of commission for about ten days.  It was lovely.  We had no where to go and no one who dared come see us.  We slowed down.

As I laid in bed at work one night recently reminiscing on the last seven years of Evelyn's life and her change in behavior a thought came into my head.  I realized that I have not been as intentional as a mother as I desire to be.  My laziness and natural tendencies are influencing how my children are growing up.  I knew in an instant that I needed and desired more than anything to become self-disciplined this year.

In the remaining eleven years of Evelyn living at home with us, I do not want to have ANY regrets.  I want to do more than my natural ability.  I want to be transformed into something better.  I am sure this is a natural part of the aging process.  I am thirty-one now.  Whatever it is I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want to be 100% invested in raising and teaching my children in all areas of life...even the areas I find most difficult (being tidy!).

My purpose is to, "is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives, to help them do what is right, just, and fair."  Proverbs 1:3

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 
2 Timothy 1:7

I've always lacked the self-discipline part of life.  I'd rather give up than work hard and achieve something great.  Giving birth was so exciting for me because in that moment I could not give up.  It was not an option.  I had to be self-disciplined and do what needed to be done.  I love being forced to do that and to reap the rewards of hard work.

God has been whispering to me that self-discipline is an essential piece needed to form my character into His likeness and to be available for whatever task he has prepared for me.  The beauty of God is that His work in our lives is not often grand and public, but powerful in the small and subtle ways.  If He can trust us with small requests He can trust us and we are prepared for larger, bigger requests.  I desire to become more mature, more refined.  I don't wish to remain the same...with my same habits, good or bad...with my same abilities.  I want to experience the joy of intentionality and perseverance.  

I already have seen the benefit.  For over a week, even with visitors to the house, we have kept the house tidy (rooms and closets!) and committed deep in our souls to doing the small things everyday that build character and good habits.  I love the feeling of a clean and tidy house.  A messy house just added to my stress level.  I would often be overwhelmed.  Not any more!  I am so thankful this is the path God has asked me to walk this year.  I am thankful we can grow and change as individuals.  I am thankful God was also asking my husband to walk this road.  When I shared with him my feelings it gave him the word he was looking for...self-discipline.  I can't wait to see what doors this opens!

1 comment:

Sara said...

This article hast not been posted recently, but I want to comment anyway ... thank you for sharing this - so funny, I can identify exactly with everything you wrote! And recently I experience a growing desire to change my habits and become more tidy and disciplined and persevering. But for some reason it's so difficult with this kind of character to keep on the right track without external pressure ... I hope you were successful, and in case you wandered again, see this comment as an encouragement from a fellow traveler to stay on that good path. ;) And be blessed!
Sara from Germany