It's okay to love and to be loved.

7.22.2009

So, because I am VERY moody and all emotions are hightened, I classify my day today as sad. This picture of Evie was taken from our window looking out at our neighbors house. Two sweet great-grandparent's live there and Evie (and more recently Naomi, too) loves to stop over and see Denise's (the great-grandmother) flowers, help her water, watch Sesame Street, eat cookies and bring suckers home for each family member...sometimes including our cats.

Denise and Craig live there and the less obvious neighbor is Craig. He used to come out for a daily walk around the block. He would stop and tell me, "Wait until they are teenagers. They'll think they know it all!" He suffered a stroke about ten years ago and has no short term memory. He tends to repeat himself, but he is so sweet. Well, today is sad because I think Craig died. He has had prostate issues and some other issues in the past few years and it appears he is no longer with us.

I spent my morning telling the girls to "shush" because I sat by our open window listening in on the conversations going on next door. I saw crying. Lots of people visiting. Heard questions about what to write for an obituary. Saw a Priest come visit Denise. I was trying to deduce if indeed Craig had passed. I had just seen him and waved to him on Monday, but he looked frail and was escorted by Denise into the house with a new walker cane in her hand. He certainly wasn't his normal self.

Their house hasn't been normal either. Family has been here since yesterday. I heard them laughing and spending time outside last night...well, sometime during the middle of the night. I thought that was interesting. So, besides listining in on their life this morning I tried to keep away from our outdoors this afternoon because I didn't want to disrupt whatever that needed to
transpire over there today.

I will find out tomorrow when I read the newspaper if what I suspect is true. We will attend the funeral and try to help Denise in whatever way we can. Maybe we'll send Evie and Naomi over with a handful of suckers to cheer her up.

P.S. Craig has lived in the house next door to us since he was a child in 1936 when his father moved the house to that lot. He raised four children in that home and spent almost his entire life there. We will surely miss his presence.

P.P.S. Just went outside to visit with Denise(It is 10:30 at night. She hasn't slept for two days and hasn't showered yet today). She was setting up her sprinkler. Yes, Craig passed away this morning at 6 am. Craig and Denise met when they were sixteen. Married at seventeen. Four children by the age of 22 and married 52 years this Sept.


Secondly, on a far less sad note, I had my regular O.B. appt. today. My doctor, whom I love a little too much, told me today that he will be on vacation from...get this...hold on...wait for it...yes...he said it...from Aug. 8th-15th. Sweet. "So, you're telling me that the chances you will deliver my baby is very slim?" He laughed and said if my cervix is favorable than we can induce if I would like. Um, no thanks, but the offer is nice.

I am not too crushed because I think it is very funny that now, with my third child, I actually LIKE and have purposely chosen a specific doctor I probably won't get to have them deliver my baby. That is a big deal because I was physically messed up down there after Naomi and my previous doc stated to the nurse, "What's that?" after my delivery. So, no more of that, I want a doc who knows what the deal-e-o is.

As they say in the movie Shakespeare In Love, "It will all work out". "How will it?" I donno, it's a mystery!" It will all work out, but it is a mystery to me how it will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An intense day indeed. I'm sorry to hear that you lost a friend, but am happy that he got to see your smile earlier this week. Although you're trying to be considerate, I'd encourage you and the girls not to shy away. I bet that Denise can use the smiles your girls are likely to bring to her face. I bet she'll benefit from seeing a family really 'living' too. It seems sometimes the most exhausting part of losing someone is convincing others you're okay and consoling them. Thus, being exposed to some normalcy can go a long way.

Things with the little one's delivery will work out. There is really no other option. With that said, your doc's comment after N's birth is a bit horrifying (allbeit hilarious).

Finally, for what it is worth, lovin' the frequent posts...:)

Take care,
SB

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

August 7th it is! Go baby, go. You can do it.

So sorry to hear about your neighbor. May you discover the unique ways God wants to use you and your family to love Denise through this life change.

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Thanks for the advice on grieving from the perspective of someone who has been through a loss in the recent past. We went to Craig's wake tonight and I asked Steve what we should say. It all worked out, but I seem to never know what is the best thing to do which then makes me act a little insane. It feels wrong to act "happy" in situations such as this, but finding the balance of sympathy and normalcy seems to be the thing to do. I know I wouldn't want others to act overly sad, melancholy, etc. in my presence, but to help me feel comforted and normal. Thanks for the advice!